The History of St George's Wilton

The Parish & History

We are a C of E church in the parish of Wilton, Taunton.

There has been a church on the site of St George’s since Saxon times, and it has always been the parish church of Wilton. Somewhere near is a spring which gave Wilton (well-tun) its name. Stones in the church’s west wall, each side of the tower, are fragments of Saxon ‘long and short’ work, the only such remains in West Somerset. They show that before the Norman Conquest this place was important enough to have a stone church.

A tower was added to the Saxon chapel around the time of the Norman Conquest, and it survived until 1853, when a new tower was built after the whole church had been extended eastwards in 1837.

The Sanctuary was rebuilt in commemoration of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.

You can see our parish boundary below.

Parish Map
Images of St Georges Wilton
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon

01823 284253

Fons George, Taunton TA1 3JT, UK

©2020 by St George's Church.